Farms and Farming

Until the late nineteenth century Harpenden was predominantly an agricultural village, with farmsteads and blacksmiths on the High Street and other farmhouses scattered about the parish.  In our Local History Centre archives we have several ringbinders of photos and information on Harpenden farms and agricultural life.  Please contact us if you would like to help make this information accessible in pages on this website.

Page link: A Brief History of Rothamsted Experimental Station from 1843 to 1901
A Brief History of Rothamsted Experimental Station from 1843 to 1901
Founded by John Bennet Lawes with Dr J H Gilbert
Page link: Aldwickbury Farm
Aldwickbury Farm
Photos from the 1950s
Page link: Annables Donkey Wheel
Annables Donkey Wheel
Dink the Donkey replaced by a mechanical pump
Page link: Claygate Orchards
Claygate Orchards
From Harpenden Free Press, March 1955
Page link: Farmsteads on Harpenden High Street
Farmsteads on Harpenden High Street
Home Farm, Yew Tree Farm and Bowers Farm
Page link: Ox Lane Nurseries
Ox Lane Nurseries
Extract from Miss C.M. Clutterbuck's "Manland" Scrapbook, 1980s
Page link: The Pathology Labs
The Pathology Labs
Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Fisheries labs at Hatching Green
Page link: The Straw Hat and Education
The Straw Hat and Education
from the Parish Magazine August 1960
Page link: Traces of Rabbits in Harpenden and Wheathampstead
Traces of Rabbits in Harpenden and Wheathampstead
Farmed for food for the gentry
Page link: Watercress Beds
Watercress Beds
Beds fed by springs alongside the River Lea