West Common

West Common is the address of houses bordering the Common south of 'Coach Lane', which led from the village to Rothamsted Manor before the Lime Avenue through Rothamsted Park was planted in the 1880s.  All properties along the fringes of the common or 'waste' land belonged to the Rothamsted estate, including the current main (library) building of Rothamsted Research, and No.1 West Common, where the first five Directors of Rothamsted lived. 

In the 1930s West Common Way opened up the new West Common estate, and in the 1960s this was extended southwards towards Beesonend Lane.  This is the part which is now commonly known as "West Common". 

Page link: Auction of cottages on Leyton Road, behind the Silver Cup
Auction of cottages on Leyton Road, behind the Silver Cup
Recent donation of document dated 1877
Page link: Coach Lane Cottage, 39 Leyton Road
Coach Lane Cottage, 39 Leyton Road
An analysis of the 16th and 17th century timber-framing
Page link: Flowton Priory
Flowton Priory
A Tudor timber-framed house transplanted from Suffolk to Harpenden in the 1920s
Page link: The Director's House
The Director's House
1 West Common, home to the first seven directors of Rothamsted Experimental Station