Pigeonwick, Fallows Green

Home of Ellen Terry - 1869-1874

By Rosemary Ross

Photo:Pigeonwick, painted by Johnston Forbes-Robertson

Pigeonwick, painted by Johnston Forbes-Robertson

From Country Life article, 1990

In 1867 Ellen Terry eloped to Harpenden with Edward William Godwin, an architect. They first lived in a cottage on Gustard Wood Common, where Godwin worked on the plans for the house they subsequently built at Fallowsgreen - Pigeonwick. 

Photo:Godwin's design for Pigeonwick - RIBA 12579, 1869

Godwin's design for Pigeonwick - RIBA 12579, 1869

LHS archive, BF 19A 11a

Photo:Extract from 1879 OS map

Extract from 1879 OS map

LHS collection

Photo:Pigeonwick with gatehouse, by F Thurston 1904

Pigeonwick with gatehouse, by F Thurston 1904

LHS archive, cat.no HC 181 by F Thurston 1904

The house passed through various owners. By 1926 the ivy-covered gatehouse had fallen into disrepair and was demolished.

Photo:Ivy-clad gatehouse, shortly before demolition in 1926

Ivy-clad gatehouse, shortly before demolition in 1926

LHS archive, cat.no. 209

New owners were sought in 1932.

Photo:Auction notice for sale of Fallows Green, 14 July 1932

Auction notice for sale of Fallows Green, 14 July 1932

LHS archive, cat.no. BF10.35

In the 1960s the house was demolished, not long before it reached its centenary.

Photo:Demolition of Pigeonwick in 1964

Demolition of Pigeonwick in 1964

LHS Archives LHS-DS 631

Photo:Demolition of Pigeonwick in 1964

Demolition of Pigeonwick in 1964

LHS Archives LHS-DS 632

A cul-de-sac named after the house (which was sometimes known as Fallowsgreen House) was built in 1967.

This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 16/08/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.