Development of Aldwickbury Farm

Wimpey estate on Upper Wheathampstead Road in 1967 and Royco houses in Aldwickbury Crescent in 1972

By Rosemary Ross

Photo:Aldwick Manor is situated between the farm and Aldwickbury School (formerly High Firs)

Aldwick Manor is situated between the farm and Aldwickbury School (formerly High Firs)

Barnett's street map

The lands of Aldwickbury Farm, lying within Harpenden Urban District began to be developed in the mid 1960s. The first part, opposite Aldwick Manor in (Upper) Wheathampstead Road was built by Wimpey estates in c.1967, around the core of Greenway Spinney.

 

Photo:Construction of houses in Wheathampstead Road 1957-58

Construction of houses in Wheathampstead Road 1957-58

John Liles

 
Photo:62 Wheathampstead Road- a Wimpy W53 Type with four bedrooms

62 Wheathampstead Road- a Wimpy W53 Type with four bedrooms

John Liles

Photo:Aldwick Road - junction with Wheathampstead Road

Aldwick Road - junction with Wheathampstead Road

LHS archives, from digitised slide

Photo:Aldwick Estate - High Firs Avenue looking towards Aldwick Manor

Aldwick Estate - High Firs Avenue looking towards Aldwick Manor

LHS archives, from digitised slide

 


Photo:Extract form 1924 OS map showing site of Crabtree schools and footpath

Extract form 1924 OS map showing site of Crabtree schools and footpath

Scan from map in LHS archives

Crabtree Schools, on a piece of Ham Common, fronting the bend on Crabtree Lane, were opened by 1967. A hedge-line, possibly marking the earlier (straight) route of Crabtree Lane, survives through the school's playing fields. In the 1920s the land was bought by Cllr F G Gingell, for use by the Batford Sports Club, and there was a small pavilion. When the Manland Schools were built in 1938-9, these playing fields were used by the schools, until the playing fields were expanded on the school site into the former Ox Lane nurseries.

Photo:Aldwickbury Farm from Crabtree Lane, looking towards the farm, pre 1967

Aldwickbury Farm from Crabtree Lane, looking towards the farm, pre 1967

LHS archives, from digitised slide

Photo:Aldwickbury, from farm towards Crabtree Lane, pre 1967

Aldwickbury, from farm towards Crabtree Lane, pre 1967

LHS archives, from digitised slide

 

The development of the Aldwickbury estate began in 1971-2 - with construction and occupation of the first houses in 1972.

Photo:Aldwickbury Crescent 1972

Aldwickbury Crescent 1972

LHS archives, from digitised slide

Photo:Alwickbury estate - Crabtree Lane 1972

Alwickbury estate - Crabtree Lane 1972

LHS archives, from digitised slide

Photo:Aldwickbury estate - Royco houses under construction 1972

Aldwickbury estate - Royco houses under construction 1972

LHS archives, from digitised slide

Photo:Alwickbury Crescent 1972

Alwickbury Crescent 1972

LHS archives, from digitised slide

Photo:Aldwickbury estate - Royco house-type, Thornbury

Aldwickbury estate - Royco house-type, Thornbury

LHS archives, from digitised slide

This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 16/01/2019.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.