Proposal for new houses in Moreton Avenue, 1905

Photo:Plan for Moreton Avenue estate, 1905

Plan for Moreton Avenue estate, 1905

Douglas Peters: The Harpenden Jarvis, 1905-2005

Photo:No. 3 and No. 1, with turret.

No. 3 and No. 1, with turret.

John Marlow, 2011

Photo:No.7 Moreton Avenue - the marital home in 1906

No.7 Moreton Avenue - the marital home in 1906

John Marlow, 2011

Photo:No. 13, the family home until  1922

No. 13, the family home until 1922

John Marlow, 2011

Photo:The east side of Moreton Avenue

The east side of Moreton Avenue

John Marlow, 2011

The first Jarvis development

By Rosemary Ross

E C Jarvis started as a builder in Harpenden on 5 May 1905.  The houses he built were similar in plan and appearance to the houses he had been working on in Ealing.  The original drawings and plans he submitted to Harpenden Urban District Council were returned to the Jarvis Group when the HUDC merged with St Albans District Council in 1975.

The houses were slow to start selling - and Mr Jarvis depended on sales to continue building.  The first sale - of No. 1 - was to Mr Talbot, a railway engineer, who lived there till his death in 1951, an uninterrupted occupation of over 45 years.

Ernest Jarvis married Miss Phoebe Mockridge in 1906 and moved into No. 7, and later to number 13, where his four children were born: Geoffrey, Ronald, Jim and Heather.

This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 08/06/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.