Farmsteads on Harpenden High Street

Photo:Home Farm at the corner of Stakers Lane, c. 1890

Home Farm at the corner of Stakers Lane, c. 1890

Photo:Yew Tree Farm (15 Leyton Road) - c 1980, when it was a surgery for Drs Garrard, ...

Yew Tree Farm (15 Leyton Road) - c 1980, when it was a surgery for Drs Garrard, ...

LHS collection, LHS 000984

Photo:Cows by the Cock Pond - maybe from Church Farm?

Cows by the Cock Pond - maybe from Church Farm?

LHS collection, LHS 000097

Photo:Bowers Cottage, 31 High Street (site of Abbey National in 2011)

Bowers Cottage, 31 High Street (site of Abbey National in 2011)

LHS collection, cat. 05149

Photo:Church Farm Cottage, 7 Leyton Green (note the middle window upstairs is blank).

Church Farm Cottage, 7 Leyton Green (note the middle window upstairs is blank).

Royal Commission for Historical Monuments, 1976

Home Farm, Yew Tree Farm and Bowers Farm

By Rosemary Ross

The Wheathampstead and Harpenden Tithe Award survey of 1841 listed about 27 farms in Harpenden, of which three were in the centre of the village.  Home Farm, at the bottom of Stakers Lane (renamed Station Road in 1892), belonged at that time to Joseph Freeman who also farmed Yew Tree Farm in Leyton Road.  Joseph Freeman was also a butcher, the last in line of a family tradition of tenant farmer-butchers established in the early eighteenth century, who were probably graziers, fattening and selling cattle.  He had his shop in Stakers Lane, close to the farm.  By 1871 the combined acerage of the two farms had increased from 119 acres to 320 acres under Henry Willmott.  Much of this was in small parcels of land all over Harpenden. 

Bowers Farm (29b High Street) was on the site first redeveloped as Broadway Market Hall, and later as Sainsbury's.  An associated farmhouse, Bowers Hall also known as Starve Gut Hall, was on land at the corner of Sun Lane and Carlton Road, now part of St George's School. 

We do not know the location of Church Farm house, but timber-framed cottages alongside the churchyard may have been associated with it, and on Leyton Green, alongside the entrance to Waitrose carpark, lies Church Farm Cottage.

This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 06/06/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.