Station Road from Carlton Road to Coldharbour Lane
Stakers Lane wound its way from Harpenden High Street to the Lea Valley through farm land with few signs of dwellings until the arrival of the railways, first at Harpenden East in 1860 (the Hertford, Luton and Dunstable link to the Great Northern Railway at Hatfield) and at Harpenden Central in 1867 (goods) and 1868 (passengers). It was lowered to pass under the Midland line, and by the mid 1880s the cutting and entry to Milton Road had been consolidated. It was not re-named Station Road until 1892.
The varying styles of houses indicate the largely piece-meal development, including cottages and New Farm near Harpenden East station.