The Railway Hotel was opened 1871, shortly after the Midland Railway station opened in 1868. It was renamed the Harpenden Arms in the 1960s.
Ridley’s Ironmongers. founded in 1896, served the needs of the new houses in Milton Road (seen in the background of this photo) and the Avenues. A large Ridley’s mangle was added to the Museum collection in 2020.