Roundwood Park - John Wyborn's neighbours at numbers 2 to 20 in the 1940s & 1950s
Having written about the development of Roundwood Park, John has added the following information about the families of his immediate neighbours with whom he grew up with during the 1940s and 1950s. He lived with his parents at no.10.
Mrs Catton settled at No.2, a semi-detached house at the corner with Park Hill, when she left The Ridge following Jesse Catton‘s death in 1952.
At No.4 Mrs Macmillan brought up two daughters. She was very keen to get them presented at Court, but couldn’t do it herself because she was a divorcee. She had to find a relative to arrange the ‘coming out’. Such things mattered in those days.
No.12 was the home of Ted and Cath Harmer. They had been in India under the Raj. They came home in 1938 so Ted Harmer could manage his family hat making firm in Luton.
At No.14. Douglas Waite, a hat manufacturer, lived with his two sisters. He was very Scottish.
Mr and Mrs Bulman and their daughter Anne lived at No.16. Later they moved to Wood End Road. They were followed by Mr and Mrs Lennox and their two daughters. He managed a Co-op chocolate factory in Luton. Occasionally he would slip us the odd bar – but discreetly as it was rationed.
Mr and Mrs Stote, who were Dolly Mayall’s parents, lived at No.18. Cecil Mayall later built an annexe for them at No 22 (22A) which still exists. Later occupants of No.18 were the Owens whose daughter married Jim Putterill.
Bill Phillips lived at No.20.