75 Years of Red Cross in Harpenden
The Red Cross established its first operational unit in Harpenden in 1938. To celebrate its 75 years of dedicated service an exhibition of medical equipment, documents and other memorabilia – much of it dating from the critical Second World War period – was staged in the town’s Park Hall last Saturday, in collaboration with Harpenden Local History Society. Seven members of today’s Harpenden Red Cross unit, which is based at the Seniors Club premises in Leyton Road, manned the numerous displays around the hall as well as providing refreshments for some sixty visitors. Unit leader Jean Leake and History Society chairman Gavin Ross both voted the afternoon a great success, in bringing the humanitarian work of the Red Cross to the wider attention of the people of Harpenden.