Some old pubs and alehouses only survive as names in early records, some survive in sketches and old photos, and some have found a new lease of life, mostly as private houses. Here are some of the photos in our collection.
Does anyone have a photo of The Whip at Kinsbourne Green when it was a small ale house before 1930?
The Foresters Arms, nicknamed Cobweb Hall 59 High Street. Rebuilt in 1907, and closed as a pub in 1960. It became Threshers wine merchants. The building survives as Strutt & Parker, estate agents, at the entry to 'Foresters' - currently under redevelopment, with a giant crane dominating the High Street.
The Old Red Lion, 72 High Street. An inn from the 18th century, when it was used for manor court business for Westminster Abbey. When St Nicholas church school was being rebuilt in 1864, classes were held in the clubroom. It closed in 1920, and became Reads cycle repair shop. It was refurbished in 1976. The left-hand part is now Billy's Bar, with Fine fitted Interiors at the right-hand end.
LHS collection, c. 1900
The Quiet Woman, 36a Station Road, with a coffee shop (Jumpin' Java) adjoining, briefly followed The Junction. A series of restaurants, including The Acropolis, opened in the same premises, but Cafe Jeera has become established.
Les Casey, 2001