This seventeenth century building was at one time John Seabrook’s ‘mansion house’ (according to Wheathampstead & Harpenden IV p.168) – but there is more research to be done to know whether this was the building, referred to in 1600, when a John Seabrook was ordered ‘to repair and amend his house’ (Wheathampstead & Harpenden II, p.44).
The 1861 census lists lists Joseph Matthews as ‘carrier and victualler’ at Hatching Green – presumably at the White Horse (Wheathampstead & Harpenden V, p209).
But otherwise we have little in our records about when the White Horse acquired its name. The photos below show it as a well-established inn in the nineteenth century. See also Heasman’s paintings of it, recently donated to the pub by Ian Taylor.