The White Lion

Distinguished by its Sign

Detail from a photo of Harpenden High Street, c.1900

The White Lion is first recorded in 1871, but its landlord, William Robinson was earlier at the nearby Marten Cat, of which we have little other evidence.

This little Victorian pub features in a number of early photos of Harpenden High Street, with a substantial model of a lion standing on the wrought iron bracket.  This survived into the 1950s, but has later been replaced by signs hanging from the original bracket.

Harpenden High Street, 1890s. Credit: LHS archives – LHS B1.41

Postcard by D F Merrett, c.1900. Credit: LHS archives – LHS B2.55

Detail from a photo of Harpenden High Street in the 1950s

The White Lion – c.1980. Credit: LHS archives – LHS 6537

The White Lion – May 1990. Credit: LHS archives – LHS 12946

Perfect Pizza – 2011. Credit: Rosemary Ross, January 2011

Now Pappa Johns – 2015. Credit: Nick Warren

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *