Harpenden Gas Company
From 1864 to 1936
We are glad to find that the inhabitants of Harpenden are establishing one of these very useful companies, which ought to exist in every locality. It has been a matter of surprise that whilst Hatfield, Redbourn, Markyate Street, Kings Langley, Welwyn and Codicote have secured the advantage of this brilliant and economic light, Harpenden has remained in comparative darkness, although its importance as a town (it does say town) is quite equal to those we have mentioned.
Herts Advertiser 20th August 1864.
The end of April 1936 will see the closing down of Harpenden Gas Works: no more gas will be produced there. They have been in use since Harpenden Gas Company was founded in 1864. The company amalgamated with the Watford and St Albans Gas Company in July 1933, and the works at St Albans are already distributing gas through the main that was laid between Harpenden and St Albans last year. The calorific value of the gas was increased on April 1st. The two showrooms and offices will remain, together with the outdoor staff. About fifteen employees at the Harpenden works are affected, and arrangements are being made to deal with them.
Herts Advertiser 24th April 1936
Now see www.nationalgrid.com