Hodgsons Meadow Southdown Road - 1912? - watercolour by E Salisbury
Cat no Slides B 3.95
Bowling Alley from the Common - 1868 - watercolour by Jane Gilbert
Cat no Slides B 2.23
Plough and Harrow Southdown Road -1912? - Watercolour by Edith Salisbury
Cat no Slides B 3.85
Watler's Farm Bowling Alley - Watercolour
Cat no HC 75
Queens Road Cottages from Walkers Road - 1930's
Cat no Slides B 2.13
St Johns Church, Crabtree Lane, known as the Paper Church - 1900. It was spectacularly consumed by fire in 1905. The new St John's Church was built facing the Common in St John's Road in 1908.
Cat no Slides B 1.75
Southdown Primitive Methodist Chapel - built 1865. Rebuilt and rededicated in 1970.
Cat no Slides B 3.29
Skew Bridge - building the additional span - 1891. Click on the photo for more about the railway line.
Cat no Slides B 3.54
Laying main sewer in Southdown Road - 1930's8
Cat no Slides B 2.76
Laying sewer in Southdown near Shops - 1930
Cat no Slides B 2.78
Main sewer under Piggottshill Lane - 1930
Cat no Slides B 2.82
Piggottshill Lane before widening - March 1930
Cat no Slides B 2.84
Piggottshill near Aldwickbury April 1930
Cat no Slides B 2.85
Widening Piggottshill Lane - 1930
Cat no Slides B 2.86
For an account of the development of shops, businesses and churches in Southdown see a description drawn up in the 1990s and many other pages grouped in Places.