Sketch of Rothamsted Manor from the South Lawn - Residence of Sir John Lawes
Cat no HC 131
Portrait of John Bennet Lawes, founder of Rothamsted Experimental Station in 1943 - aged c 45
Cat no HC 171
Lady Caroline Lawes, wife of Sir John Bennet Lawes - 1850
Cat no Slides B 3.75
Painting of Rothamsted Manor from SE by Lady Caroline Lawes
Cat no HC 132
Rothamsted Manor - 1880's - by Lady Caroline Lawes
Cat no Slides B 2.93
Rothamsted Manor - bedroom with Jacobean furniture - 1900
Cat no HC 104
Rothamsted Manor interior - 1900
Cat no Slides B 1.83
Rothamsted Manor - Dining Room - 1900
Cat no HC 105
Charles Lawes - 1910's -by Frank O Salisbury
Cat no Slides B 3.80
Death of Dirce, marble sculpture in Rothamsted Manor gardens by Charles Lawes
Cat no Slides B 3.81
Sir John Bennett Lawes - 1890's, around the time of the Golden Jubilee of Rothamsted Experimental Station
Cat no Slides B 3.73
Rothamsted - Testimonial laboratory, opened in 1855 - 1890
Cat no Slides B 2.100
Rothamsted - interior of Testimonial laboratory - 1890s
Cat no Slides B 2.102
Rothamsted - Testimonial laboratory, marquis for dedication of granite memorial - 1893
Cat no Slides B 2.103
Dr Gilbert's House, No 1 West Common - The original Director's House for Rothamsted Experimental Station. Dr Gilbert was employed by John Bennet Lawes as a chemist in 1843, from when began the partnership and the foundation of Rothamsted Experiments.
Cat no HC 036
Rothamsted Allotment Club House - 1860. The first allotments were provided by Sir John Bennet Lawes in 1852. Charles Dickens visited the club in 1859. The club flourished until the 1960s, when it was replaced by new laboratory buildings and a carpark. Click on the picture to the page about the Allotment Club.
Cat no HC 029
Rothamsted Farm - fete - 1890's
Cat no Slides B 1.81
Girls playing on the Common outside the British School (seen through the trees) - now Park Hall, 1890s
LHS archives, cat.no. B 1.58
Please click on the small picture to see it full size, or to view the whole sequence. Click on each picture to find links to pages about the people and the house.
Rothamsted Manor, home of the founder of Rothamsted Experiments (currently known as Rothamsted Research) Sir John Bennet Lawes, is more fully described in articles in the Rothamsted section of The Development of Harpenden, together with information about earlier members of the family.
The sequence here shows the family home (where John Lawes began his scientific interest by experimenting in his bedroom), and the interior in the time of his son Sir Charles Bennet Lawes. Then follow pictures of the Testimonial Laboratory of 1855, which was funded by a nation-wide collection in recognition of the contribution by Lawes and his partner Joseph Henry Gilbert to agricultural progress. Finally there are a couple of examples of Sir John Bennet Lawes’ considerable contribution to the well-being of Harpenden. He built the British School (now Park Hall) beside the gates of the manor drive.