Some of the old photographs of buildings in the High Street are still recognisable – pubs continue to serve regulars and passers by and other buildings have been adapted to new uses. The pairs of photos in this selection show some contrasts between past and present, taken from approximately the same viewpoint.
Thatched cottages, near Bowers House and Cock Pond , c.1890. They appear in many old photos of Cock Pond.
Northern end of Bowers Parade, built for Read’s Motors showroom in 1938
Bowers House, with pond and duck-house in front, c.1900
Bowers Parade (built in 1936) and the Sensory Garden, now obscure Bowers House, which still stands behind the shops.
The Foresters’ Arms, c 1905
Strutt & Parker, with Jarvis’s crane constructing “The Foresters” in 2011, on land behind the former pub
Breadcroft cottages, c.1960
Breadcroft Lane flats, 2011
St John’s Church – the Paper Church – at the corner of Crabtree Lane c 1900. This burnt down in 1905
Jarvis houses at the corner of Crabtree lane and Southdown Road, c 1912
Home Farm, at the bottom of Staker’s Lane, 1880s
Ridleys’ ironmongers c1910 – HSBC bank 2012
Lines Forge – 1880s
Anvil House, Lower High Street
White Lion pub, High Street, 1950s
Perfect Pizza – the bracket has survived