Arthur Lydekker, the third son of Gerard Wolfe Lydekker, joined the Bedfordshire Regiment in 1871, aged 18, and rose to rank of Captain over 10 years. He and his wife, Mabel, lived for a time in “The Cottage” (which later became “Tollgate Hotel”).
He was Chariman of the Parish Council from 1894-1898, and the first Chairman of Harpenden Urban District Council from 1898 to 1904. Then he became a JP for the County.
He was active in other local matters, including the Reading and Lecture Institute, the Street Lighting Committee, and the Fire Brigade Committee. He died in 1935 while addressing a meeting of the Church Missionary Society in the Public Hall (now Park Hall).