Foster Yeoman Ladies' Wear

At 26 Station Road from 1910 to 2003

Kitty Moores

Photo:Shop frontage of Foster Yeoman in 1968

Shop frontage of Foster Yeoman in 1968

LHS archives - BF 16A.26

Foster Yeoman Ladies’ Wear traded at No. 26, Station Road from 1910 to 2003. Designed by Arthur Anscombe, the building was erected in 1906 and Mr John Foster Yeoman started his drapery business there in 1910, selling uniforms for girls in Service to the Gentry of Harpenden.

Changing ownership

Photo:Foster Yeoman advertisement

Foster Yeoman advertisement

LHS archives

Mr and Mrs E.F. Jowitt acquired the business from him around 1959 and Mrs Margaret Harrison took it over in 1966 when Mr and Mrs Jowitt retired to Suffolk. Specialising in corseterie and underwear, the business stocked many well-known ranges, plus a full range of Smedley’s wear. It also sold nearly everything for ladies including “Top Wear”– suits, skirts, blouses, slacks- and knitwear, hosiery and rainwear. A range of Donegal tweed garments and Irish jersey wool suits provided an interesting stock variation.

Business expansion

Photo:Advertisement for opening of basement salon in 1968

Advertisement for opening of basement salon in 1968

LHS archives

At this time business was thriving and with the additional stocks maintained, there was difficulty in providing enough space to cope with the increase in trade, which was further enhanced by a reputation for customers being able to find specific items of clothing unobtainable in other areas. In 1968 an article in Harpenden Free Press revealed how the enterprising Mrs Harrison converted the shop basement into an exclusive corseterie, lingerie and underwear salon. A flight of private stairs had been removed to make way for the conversion, and all the alterations were carried out by local building firm Messrs V & R Ganderton of Roundwood Lane.  Electrical work and heating were installed by R. Jackson (Electronics) Ltd of Westfield Road. Skirts, blouses and hosiery were to be sold from the ground floor and customers would be able to reach the basement via stairs leading from the shop. The basement would also house additional stock rooms. The premises were to be completely close-carpeted by Messrs Jackson and Rose of the High Street. Whilst expanding its stock of more youthful garments, the firm continued to maintain all of the specialities for which it had become known throughout its lifetime, particularly those items which catered for the needs of the more elderly customers.

Further changes in ownership

Photo:Part of invoice showing Margaret's and Foster Yeoman under co-management c1985

Part of invoice showing Margaret's and Foster Yeoman under co-management c1985

LHS archives

Subsequent proprietors of the business were Mr S. Hurrell from 1975 to 1984, followed by Lorenzo and Glynis Medri from 1984-1987, who also ran “Margaret's” in conjunction with Foster Yeoman. The next occupiers, from 1987-1997, were Alistair and Thelma Yuill. By this time the business had focussed on supplying the best in lingerie, hosiery, nightwear, swimwear and numerous small goods including scarves, socks and hankies. 

Foster Yeoman, which had recently attained the title of “Harpenden’s oldest surviving retail outlet”, was taken over again in July 1997 by local businessman Michael Sanders. Born and bred in Harpenden, the son of Brian Sanders (who traded in men’s wear from an adjacent shop in Station Road until his retirement), Michael did not want to see Foster Yeoman disappear after the previous owners decided to move on.

Newspaper advertisements

Photo:Headline for advertising feature in Village Voice, November 2000, with inset of shop frontage

Headline for advertising feature in Village Voice, November 2000, with inset of shop frontage

LHS archives

With regular 1 or 2 page advertising features in Harpenden Free Press and Village Voice Foster Yeoman kept readers informed of their forthcoming sales, new stock items, and the availability of a complementary measuring and fitting service provided by manageress Linda Smith, who, by 1997, had been employed by the company for 14 years. They also confirmed “Gentlemen are most welcome and will be given every assistance in choosing gifts”. In December 1997, a special evening opening was advertised, “for Gentlemen to browse and acquire those special Christmas presents in relaxed surroundings with a glass of wine”.

Photo:Advertising for Christmas 2001

Advertising for Christmas 2001

LHS archives BF 16A.26

End of an era

Photo:Foster Yeoman's in 2003, before closing

Foster Yeoman's in 2003, before closing

LHS archives - GSW -LHS 10506

The final proprietor of the business  was Mr Gardiner. Following the demise of Foster Yeoman Ladies’ Wear  in 2003, it was succeeded by another fashion business – Chiffon, which traded from 2004-2011.

Photo:Chiffon at 26 Station Road in January 2009

Chiffon at 26 Station Road in January 2009

LHS archives - LFC - LHS 14030

This page was added by Kitty Moores on 05/06/2019.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.