Harpenden's War Memorials

A gallery of the many memorials around the village

Church Green Memorial. Credit: G. Ross, 2013

A gallery of the war memorials, including Church Green, St Nicholas Church, High Street Methodist Church, St John’s Church, Kinsbourne Green Methodist Church, South Harpenden shrine, St George’s School, with links to transcripts of names, Rolls of Honour (1914-15), National Roll of Honour (1914-18).

The first shrine we know of was erected at the bottom of Cravells Road, and dedicated on 19 July 1919 to the men of South Harpenden. Planning for the memorial on Church Green began in early 1919 but the cross was not dedicated until 20 October 1920. Memorial boards in sometimes include names omitted from the Church Green cross.

In the lead-up to Armistice Day 2018, Harpenden Town Council placed silhouettes of ‘tommies’ beside the High Street, at Batford and on Southdown Green.

Tommy at Batford corner. Credit: Alan Bunting November 2018

Harpenden High Street, October 2018. Credit: R. Ross

Tommy, on Southdown Green

The 100th anniversary of the Memorial Cross – 20 October 2020

Harpenden War Memorial floodlit on Remembrance day, 11 November 2020. Credit: Hugh Fraser


To view the photos below, click on an image, and then click on next or previous, or to return to the menu.


 

Comments about this page

  • The 100th anniversary of the dedication of Harpenden War Memorial took place on 20 October 2020. Hugh Fraser has sent us a photograph of the memorial floodlit in red on 11 November 2020, which we have added to this page.

    By Rosemary Ross (23/11/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *