The White Lion

Distinguished by its Sign

By Rosemary Ross

Photo:Detail from a photo of Harpenden High Street, c.1900

Detail from a photo of Harpenden High Street, c.1900

The White Lion is first recorded in 1871, but its landlord, William Robinson was earlier at the nearby Marten Cat, of which we have little other evidence.

This little Victorian pub features in a number of early photos of Harpenden High Street, with a substantial model of a lion standing on the wrought iron bracket.  This survived into the 1950s, but has later been replaced by signs hanging from the original bracket.

Photo:Harpenden High Street, 1890s

Harpenden High Street, 1890s

LHS archives - cat.no. B 1.41

Photo:Postcard by D F Merrett, c.1900

Postcard by D F Merrett, c.1900

LHS archives - cat.no. B 2.55

Photo:Detail from a photo of Harpenden High Street in the 1950s

Detail from a photo of Harpenden High Street in the 1950s

Photo:The White Lion - c.1980

The White Lion - c.1980

LHS archives = cat.no. 006537

Photo:The White Lion - May 1990

The White Lion - May 1990

LHS archives cat. no. 12,946

Photo:Perfect Pizza - 2011

Perfect Pizza - 2011

Rosemary Ross, January 2011

Photo:Now Pappa Johns - 2015

Now Pappa Johns - 2015

Nick Warren

This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 31/03/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.