6 High Street, Harpenden

From Dr Kingston's House to M&Co - 1860s-2012

This prominent site, featured on views of the High Street from Harpenden Common, will be starting a new phase, as Oakman Inns have purchased Kingston House, following the closure of M&Co in 2020.

Dr Kingston's House, the home of Dr Francis Kingston, who retired in 1861. His family had been treating people and their animals for over 100 years. The house was bought in 1912 by Henry Salisbury, who pulled it down to build Kingston House Stores.
LHS archives, cat. no. LHS 00006
Dr Kingston's House, West's cottage & bakery and Busby's chemists, and part of The George Inn on the left, c.1910
LHS archives, cat. no. LHS 00005
The George Inn & Kingston House Stores, c. 1920
LHS archives, cat.no. LHS 002099
Advertisement for Kingston House, in the 1935 Jubilee programme
LHS archives, cat.no LHS 009342
Kingston House - China dept, 1960s - later the tea-room
LHS archives, cat.no. LHS 004780
Halfords - 1980s - with news-stand, which was destroyed in the storm of 1987
LHS archives, cat.no. LHS 001274
C&A - moved from 29 High Street
LHS archives, cat.no. LHS 005967, Les Casey, 1997
Kingston House stairs, 1994
LHS archives, cat. no. LHS 004772 - Les Casey
C&A - Coffee shop, with Mr and Mrs Weaver
LHS archives, cat.no LHS 004773
C&A - Electrical Dept
LHS archives, cat.no. LHS 004773
C&A - Gardens dept.
LHS archives, cat.no. 004771
M&Co, 2006
LHS archives, cat.no. LHS 009660

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *